Friday, September 12, 2008

John Pirman

The guy that I tried to get in touch with for a while finally got back to me with his answers about the Urban Forest Project...
1.) How and why did you get involved with the project?
My Best friend Mark Randall, of WorldStudios Foundation, invited me to contribue an illustration
2.) Would you consider yourself and environmentalist?
No I am not an activist or environmentalist, though I am very "green" conscious
3.) I understand your concept for the project came from a childhood project.  What was the project and how did it influence your idea for this particular project?
This was a "how to" project for "Highlights" magazine that I remember doing as a young boy. When the banner project came around, this leaf idea immediately came to mind.
4.) How did you incorporate your style to spread the meaning of Urban Forest?
I use simple refined shapes, and bold color to get the visual meaning across fast.
5.)I learned that you do a lot of work based on geometry. Can you tell me about how you were able to incorporate that into this piece?
By placing symmetrically drawn overlapping leaf elements in rectangular shapes, a very controlled visual rhythm takes place that creates a motif.
6.) Do you do a lot of pro-bono work?
No
7.)I read a comment you made stating "simplicity is harder than it looks." Can you explain what you believe is the "less is more" theory and why you believe it is relevant to your work?
I consider myself a "modernist" and "minimalist" in the way I live my life, and in the way I do my illustrations. To refine, subtract from, and create harmony in my life and art takes a lot of energy and time. Once that is accomplished, I am satisfied.
8.) Do you draw from real life or out of your head?
I usually do not draw from life only because the things I draw are not physically possible to draw from. The leaves were drawn from photos.
9.)How do you come up with your geometric designs? Do you use the Golden Mean theory or something else?
Intuition is key. I go with a gut feeling. There is no explanation for this. I guess it is something I am born with.
10.) Why are you interested in geometric designs?
Because it speaks an abstract visual language. Modern 20th century artists such as Sonia Delaunay, Stuart Davis, the paper cut-outs of Henri Matisse, Mondrian, have heavily influenced me. Also, the simplicity of WPA posters have made a big impression on me.

1 comment:

Bryan said...

Nice interview. I love the modernist simplicity and honesty from John, cool!